Monday, January 30, 2012

A Theater Week



Wow, I'm laggin' on the bloggin'.

First, my first real rehearsal for "Backstage" at the Valley Center Playhouse. It was a success! I love my character, Connie, the brown-nosing, eager to please assistant director. I get to be obnoxiously upbeat, remarkably anxious (when she has to go onstage at the last minute), and fumbly and bumbly. I like her.
My husband plays the part of an over-acting butler. Craig will be hilarious. Who knew he could really sparkle onstage? Also a nod to our director, Tyler Renstrom. He is so good!

Went to see my friend Adam Cannon's show on Friday and reviewed it for UTBA. Though I had vowed never to review a show where I knew anyone I still wanted to be friends with after the review published, thank the Lord the show was good. The best part of the show was Adam's directing, but I could be biased. I don't think it was a particularly tough show to direct, and it looked like it had a group of actors who were sincere, talented, and fun. Nevertheless, it was seamless, so there you go.

I went to the UTBA dinner on Saturday. It was delicious, but we got lost on the way and I started getting pretty freaked out. I sat with Russell, who I've met in emails and what a delight he was. The meeting was more businessy than I had expected, with lots of networking, and discussion about the new website that is being launched and a fun sister project UTBA is embarking on. It was really cool. It also didn't snow for the drive, so I'm saying the night was a total success.

I am getting comfortable with telling people I'm an actress. I used to think that to say that I had to be a gorgeous, perfect hair and body, young starlet. It is turning out that isn't true.

I am now madly learning my lines. Need to be memorized by Wednesday!

I like this part of my life, though I still feel guilty that I left behind my writing career for a while.
To everything there is a season...

Keep playing! There's so much to play with!

No comments:

Post a Comment